Monday 21 January 2013

Snow running!

I have to say I love snow, well if I don't have to drive I love snow.    Having said that you soon realise that when you are training that snow isn't really your friend and you need to be careful.  Saturday we had a bit of a flurry and I was quite impressed that Dave and I went for a run.




It was cold and we had made the effort to go out, so I was pretty chuffed.
Sunday however the snow really started to come down and I decided that I would go out for my long run.  I left quite early as I thought the snow may come down thicker later in the day.  I managed to run 9.72 in the cold white stuff.  It wasn't so bad running on the snow as it was still soft however having the snow blowing in my face was difficult at times.  I have to say I thought I may get too cold but I didn't actually feel cold while I was running.  
3.5 miles into the run

You can't really see it on the photo but the snow is coming down here!!
I think this was at about 7 miles.
It didn't stop snowing for the whole run.  In the photos you can't actually see the snow falling. At about 7 miles I started to find it harder but convinced myself to go on and eventually hit my 9 mile target.  After that it was a struggle, I had nearly a mile to get home and was really feeling it.  Dave had said if I was struggling he would pick me up and I have to say at this stage I nearly phoned him but decided by the time he had got the car off the drive I would be nearly home and so I ran another 0.72 miles home.  I did it at a pretty slow pace but I did it and felt I had really achieved something.  
I am now convinced that if I can run nearly 10 miles in the conditions I ran in yesterday that I should be able to complete the half marathon in March.

Wahooo 9.72 miles and now home!!

Worn out and ice crystals in my hair!!

Indoors, some stretching and warming up then a lovely hot relaxing bath.

When fundraising I have been saying to people that it isn't only the day of the event that is hard work but also the training itself.  Yesterday I feel I really proved that.  In order to be fit enough to run the marathon I am having to go out in all weathers.  I am therefore looking for the sympathy donations today :-) and asking that if you are in anyway feeling sorry for me or thinking I am mad, please think of donating to my good cause.  If you would like to donate please either contact me or go to www.justgiving.com/Colly-Wilks.

Thanks 
Lets hope for some warmer training weather.
Colette




No comments:

Post a Comment