Sunday 24 March 2013

18 miles today, wahoo.

Today was a tough day to run but a great milestone.  I went out with my running buddy Tracy and we managed to clock up 18 miles.  It wasn't the easiest run in the world but we go there.  We met up just after 6.30 and headed out in the snow and wind.  Initially I thought I might not get far, my knee has been playing up and I was worried it was going to cause a problem however after the first couple of miles I got into my pace, my knee settled down and we faced the weather.  Often along the way we questioned our madness however soon realised we wasn't on our own when we passed several runners (we didn't overtake pass them, they were running in the opposite direction!!).  The ground was slippery in places so a careful step was needed.  Although it was difficult we soon (well it felt like soon) reached 9 miles and turned around to head back.  Some of the return run felt easier but some felt harder and some roads felt like they had grown.  The snow stopped for short time but kept on coming but we soon reached the final two miles and as usual these were the hardest but we kept going and finally reached our target of 18 miles.  I have to thank Tracy again at this stage as I am sure I wouldn't have done it without her company and support.  I have to say initially saying 18 miles was just a number however it soon sunk in how far we had run and how much we have achieved over the weeks.  I for one was more than chuffed and still can't believe I have managed to get that far :-).

We arrived back at the car, cleared the snow and headed back home.  I phoned my daughter before arriving back and asked her to start running a bath.  After stretching a relax in a hot bath was just the ticket.

Next week we are hoping to run 20 miles, lets hope it's a success.

The training, let alone the Marathon, has been a real challenge, if you would like to sponsor me please go to my fundraising page at www.justgiving.com/Colly-Wilks  - money raised will go to +Havenshospices (http://www.havenshospices.org.uk/) which is not only a great cause but a cause that is close to my heart.

I would also at this stage like to thank my wonderful husband Dave who initially started training with me however due to injury had to pull out.  He is now getting back to running however feels quite despondent that he hasn't been able to run with me and support me. He has however been a massive support, encouraging me all the way and saying the right words when I am moaning because I ache :-). I have missed running with him and will be glad when we can get back to running together.

Thanks for reading and your support.
Catch up soon, Colette :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment